"If you plan right, all you do is reap."
Permaculture rejects the notion that people are separate from nature and inevitably destructive, or that destruction of the environment is justified in order to provide jobs or profits for people.
--Starhawk (for Foundation for Intentional Community)
INTRODUCTORY DESCRIPTION AND QUOTES
Permaculture is a journey and a new way at approaching life. Heather Jo Flores says, "a lot of it is about patterns recognition". It's relearning and making an attempt at developing a harmonious relationship with Nature. It's realizing the current predominate culture has not been designed with harmony in mind. Thus, "permies" are kind of punk. Stephen Brooks likes to bring it into energetic terms and tells people it's about "maximizing hammock time" and if you design right, "all you do is reap".
LET'S EXPLORE "SOCIAL PERMACULTURE"
- Short definition by Beyond Buckthorns
- Social permaculture, what is it?
- Social permaculture (people care and social systems design)
- Principles of Social Permaculture by Tools for Change
Principles in Action by the Permaculture Research Institute
But Permaculture often does entail gardening...
GENERAL PERMACULTURE RESOURCES
- FREE Permaculture For Beginner's course by Eco Design Hive
- Creating an organic garden in Southern Nevada by University of Nevada Reno
- Kellogg Garden Products - education, 10+ free organic gardening guides, and products!
- Regenerative Soil and Microscopy by Matt Powers
- Nevada Planting Guide by Urban Farmer
- Growing Your Own Greens YouTube channel
- Sierra Harvest Guide for growing your own food at home
- Nevada Bee Identification Guide
- Community Seed Network
- Rodale Institute (75 years of regenerative and organic farming research)
- Rainwater Harvesting
- Water Stories
Via Wikipedia "The circular economy is a model of production and consumption, which involves sharing, leasing, reusing, repairing, refurbishing and recycling existing materials and products as long as possible. In this way, the life cycle of products is extended. In practice, it implies reducing waste to a minimum."
LAS VEGAS (& N. Las Vegas) RESOURCES
COMMUNITY, EVENTS, NETWORKING, EDUCATION
INSPIRATION, SERVICES, RESOURCES
- Las Vegas Farm (Rescued animals, events, farmers market, honey, volunteer opportunities)
- Yelp's 10 Best Organic Plant Nurseries near Las Vegas
- Organic Community Garden at Nevada State University (Henderson)
- Chop Chop Landscaping
- Springs Preserve (a place to go for education and inspiration on living and gardening in the desert)
NEVADA (GENERAL / STATEWIDE) RESOURCES
SEEDS & GROWING YOUR OWN FOOD
- Vegetable planting guide for south Nevada
- Full Circle Compost (All natural growing products and a free growers guide)
- Sierra Harvest (Farm and their own resource guide!)
- Edible Reno Guide for organic seed purchasing
- Farmer's Almanac planting calendar for all of Nevada
- Field Guide for collecting native seeds in Nevada
- University Nevada, Reno - Seed Swap (contact)
OTHER INSPIRING INFORMATION & WORK
WHERE TO START (FIRST STEPS)?
It's a new way of approaching life. Know we are forever students. Didn't like school? You will grow to immensely appreciate this new lifestyle if you don't immediately fall in love with it.
P.S. >The last Saturday of every January is the U.S. National Seed Swap Day!
This guide was made possible by...